Sunday, April 17, 2011

Coconut and Dry Fruits Poli

My Mom makes awesome coconut hobbatu / poli. They are so thin and remain soft for longer period. I never tried making poli so far, always thought it's best to leave it to the expert. Last month my sister went to visit my parents and mom made coconut poli with dates for her. My sister and dad kept mentioning how tasty they were, that made me crave for it. I kept thinking about it but didn't like the idea of making it. I thought it's not 'my cup of tea' to make it. But the urge to eat poli finally got over me and I decided to give it a try. Mine didn't turn out to be as good as my mom's but surely tasted delicious.


I made some changes to the recipe as per my own convenience and availability of ingredients. Here is my version.

How I made it :
For the dough:
2 cups Maida /All purpose flour
2 table spoon fine sooji / semolina
pinch of salt
1/4 cup oil ( I use canola oil)

Filling:
2 cups shredded dry coconut
8 pitted dates
2 tablespoon broken cashew nuts
10 almonds
1/4 cup brown sugar
5 pods of green cardamom
1 teaspoon poppy seeds

How I made it:
Dough- Mix the Maida, sooji and salt with sufficient water  to make a soft dough. Add the oil and knead the dough a little more. Let the dough soak in oil for about 4 hours in a cool place.

Filling- Dry roast separately the nuts and the poppy seeds. Peel and crush the cardamom. Grind the nuts along with coconut and cardamom. In a thick bottomed pan add 1 cup water and brown sugar and boil till the sugar completely dissolves. Add the ground powder and keep stirring until it starts to separate off the pan. It should form a thick dough like consistency, if you overdo it will be hard as a rock and if removed early it will still be runny.Mix the poppy seeds into this mixture and let it cool.




To make the poli- Take a small ball of the dough. Pat it flat with your finger tips to make small circle of about 4 inches on Plastic sheet / parchment paper ( I normally use the packets that we get daals from Indian store for this). Take a smaller size ball of the filling and keep in the center of the flattened dough and cover the filling completely. Since the dough is elastic it will stretch easily. Place inbetween two sheets of plastic/ parchment paper and roll it with the help of a rolling pin as thin as you can. Take care not to pop out the filling too much out of the dough.
Heat a flat pan. Transfer the rolled poli onto the skillet and peel off the plastic quickly. Cook until brown spots appear on both the sides. Serve warm with ghee.

These poli's remain fresh and soft for atleast a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...