Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Besan Gatte in Gravy

Well, the reason I made this was that my husband picked up kala chana besan from the Indian store instead of  regular besan. This besan didn't taste good when I made pakoras or laddoos. Was looking for ways to use the pack of besan I had. I came across this recipe on the internet( surf-india.com), and thought its worth a try. Had heard about this recipe but never had tried it or tasted it before. In Jharkahand and Bihar this is called kala-channa ghoomni. In Rajasthan, gatte ki sabzi in a yogurt based gravy. This recipe is based on the jharkand version but with some modifications. I did not use mustard paste that they suggest. Also I added yogurt in mine. The original recipe calls for the gatte to be cooked and added to the gravy. I thought it would add a nice flavor if I sauteed it a bit in oil before adding to the gravy.


What you need :
1 cup Besan (Gram flour)
2 medium size: Tomatoes(finely chopped)
2 medium size: Onion (finely chopped)
4-5: Green chillies (finely chopped)
1 tbsp: Ginger and garlic paste
1/4 tbsp: Turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp: Red chili powder
1/4 tbsp: Coriander powder
1/4 tbsp: Gram masala
Pinch of Asafoetida
1 tbsp: Cumin seed
1/2 tablespoon: Carom (Ajwain) seed
2 tablespoon yogurt (optional)
Oil
Salt to taste


How It's Made:
Mix well besan, 2 green chillies, carom, 1 teaspoon red chili powder, salt and 1 tbsp oil. Add water into besan to make dough. Pull the dough into 1 cm diameter round and 5-6 inches long rope.
Put it into boiling water and boil for 10 minutes.
Take out the water and cut the besan round into small pieces and keep aside. (Besan rounds are called 'gatte'.) Heat oil in a pan and saute the gatte until it gets a nice crisp outer layer. Remove and keep it aside.
Heat oil in the same pan add asafoetida, cumin seeds, 2 green chilies, stir-fry. Add ginger garlic paste followed by chopped onion, saute until the onions turn brown. Add chopped tomatoes and cook for few more minutes. To this add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, salt, garam masala and water. I also added yogurt at this stage since my gravy wasn't getting thick enough for my liking. Boil till the gravy is well cooked.
Put gatte into gravy and boil for 3 minutes (Heat until gravy is thick).
Serve hot with steamed rice or plain chapathi. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...