Monday, May 2, 2011

Apple Jam

I was talking to my mom a few days back and she mentioned that she had made raw mango jam. She asked me to try it out, I just ignored saying there is no point, we don't get  good raw mangoes here. But after a day I was thinking about it and thought why not try her recipe with apples. I wanted to make with granny smith apples but I didn't have enough of them so ended up using red ones. (I called her at 11.30 pm IST to get the recipe.) It sure turned out good. I had it with my bread for my breakfast. I will probably make this often with different fruits rather than buying the store bought fruit spread that I normally buy. What I really like about his was unlike the earlier version that my mom made, grating the mangoes (which is very tedious) this time she just boiled them in water. It's simple and delicious.


What you need :
3 medium sized Apples
1/2 cup sugar
2 cloves, powdered
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest

How its made :
Bring water to boil in a thick bottomed pan. Peel, deseed and cut each apple into pieces. Drop the apple pieces into the water and cook for 5 minuts or till the apples turn tender.Remove the apples out and mash it with a fork. Measure 1 cup of water that you used to cook apples and  leave it in the same pan.Add sugar to it and bring to a nice boil till the syrup startens to thicken. It shouldn't be too thick. Add the powdered cloves and the mashed apples. Cook the entire mixture until it thickens to a jam consistency, about 5 mins. Add lemon zest and mix well. Cool and fill it in glass jars and store in refrigerator.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...