Thursday, January 20, 2011

zucchini with peanut masala

We have farmers market every saturday morning during summer and fall. I liked the fresh vegetables that they sold there. One day I picked up Zucchini to make sambar, but after coming home decided to try something different. So opened up my pantry stared at it for a while and than came up with my own recipe. I used besan to coat the zucchini since I didn't want it to turn soggy, and it worked well.My experiment did turn out to be a success. I made it again when my Mom-inlaw was visiting me and she liked it.

I used:
Zucchini- 1 large
red chilly powder- 1tspn
turmeric pwd- 1/2 tspn
besan- 1Tbspn
salt- to taste
mustard- 1/2 tspn,
oil- 2 tbspn
fresh coriander leaves- finely chopped 2 tbspn

for dry masala:
Cumin- 1tspn
coriander seeds 1tspn
clove-2
cinnamon -1/4 inch
red chillies -1 ( mine are very hot)
peanuts - 1/2 cup .



How I made:
Peel, deseed  and cut zucchini into small cubes. marinate with chilly pwd, turmeric powder, salt and 1 tbspn besan. Leave it for 15 min to marinade.
Dry roast all the spices listed under dry masala, cool and grind to a powder.
Add oil in pan, season with mustard and cumin. Add Zuchini, fry for a while till you a get nice aroma. when its almost done add the ground powder and fry for a while.If the mixture is not holding up sprinkle little water or add oil depending on your taste. Add salt to taste, remember you have salt already added to the zucchini. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve.

you can make it dry as a side dish with rice n daal.  If you need it to eat with chapathi or bread, add little water to it once the masala is fried with zucchini, to make it like gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...